OPNsense is an open source, easy-to-use and easy-to-build FreeBSD based firewall and routing platform. OPNsense includes most of the features available in expensive commercial firewalls, and more in many cases. It brings the rich feature set of commercial offerings with the benefits of open and verifiable sources.
OPNsense started as a fork of pfSense® and m0n0wall in 2014, with its first official release in January 2015. The project has evolved very quickly while still retaining familiar aspects of both m0n0wall and pfSense. A strong focus on security and code quality drives the development of the project.
OPNsense offers weekly security updates with small increments to react on new emerging threats within in a fashionable time. A fixed release cycle of 2 major releases each year offers businesses the opportunity to plan upgrades ahead. For each major release a roadmap is put in place to guide development and set out clear goals.
From Virtual Private Networking to Intrusion Detection, Best in class, FREE Open Source Project.
Free & Open source – Everything essential to protect your network and more
- FIREWALL – Stateful firewall with support for IPv4 and IPv6 and live view on blocked or passed traffic.
- MULTI WAN – Multi WAN capable including load balancing and failover support.
- VIRTUAL PRIVATE NETWORKING – Integrated support for IPsec (including route based), OpenVPN as well as pluggable support for Tinc (full mesh VPN) and WireGuard.
- HARDWARE FAILOVER – When you cannot afford downtime use our automatic and seamless hardware failover with state synchronization utilizing the common address redundancy protocol (CARP) to get the highest possible availability.
- SD-WAN – For easy setup, configuration and monitoring the ZeroTier plugin can be used to setup your Software Defined WAN within minutes.
- INTRUSION DETECTION & PREVENTION – Get rid of the Trojans & CNC bots with state of the art inline intrusion prevention utilizing Suricata and Proofpoint’s Emerging Threats Open rules integrated. Optional ET PRO (commercial subscription) or ET PRO Telemetry (sign-up for free).
- TWO FACTOR AUTHENTICATION – 2FA is supported throughout the system, for both the user interface as services such as VPN.
- ROUTING PROTOCOLS – Pluggable support for OSPF and BGP using the Free Range Router project.
- WEB FILTERING – Fully integrated web proxy with access control and support for external blacklists to filter unwanted traffic. Other options include firewall aliases and DNS blacklisting.
- INTUITIVE USER INTERFACE – The most intuitive fully responsive user interface you’ll find in any open source firewall with integrated search option.
- MULTI LANGUAGE – User selectable language support including English, Czech, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
- ONLINE DOCUMENTATION – Fully searchable free online documentation.
- WEB APPLICATION FILTERING – SENSEI (FREE & COMMERCIAL OPTION) – As part of our cooperation with Sunny Valley Networks a free version of Sensei can be installed as plugin. For enhanced features a commercial version can be acquired online directly from Sunny Valley Networks.
Download the official release of OPNsense®.
If you need professional assistance configuring your deployment, you can use our commercial support to help get you up and running.
- Firewall ,
- Open Source Software ,